Saturday, December 05, 2009

Saturday morning cartoons and afternoon matinees

When I was a kid, getting up on Saturdays to watch cartoons was like the proverbial fruit at the bottom of the yogurt cup. Nowadays, cartoons are on 24-7 on cable, not to mention OnDemand and the advent of the DVR. So, cartoons as a Saturday treat has really gone by the wayside.

But every now and again, I'll stumble upon something that reminds me of what Saturdays are all about. Take today for, example. I caught one of my all-time favorite flicks from childhood, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure on cable, in HD no less. In the words of first-time director Tim Burton, "it's the perfect movie to watch on TV on a Saturday afternoon." The movie is packed with Burton's signature aesthetics - a make-believe fantasy world full of wonder and all things fantastic. Burton's vision is so clear and well defined, that within 10 minutes, one of my kids asked "Are all the grown ups really kids in this world?"



So, with that, I salute you, Tim Burton. Thanks for making such an enduring classic to be enjoyed while snuggled up on the couch on a Saturday afternoon in December.

With that, I also salute the obscure Captain America cartoons from the 1960s. I used to watch these at 6 am on an even more obscure Asian-language UHF channel back in the 1980s ... and that was long before cable and the VCR (or Beta-Max)!



Just for good measure, here's Hulk and Spidey too:





Ahh, what the heck, here's Iron Man and the Fantastic 4, for your Saturday Morning Viewing Pleasure:





If you really want to dig around, you can find similar YouTube videos for Sub-Mariner and Thor ... meh.