Sunday, July 26, 2009

Where are they now? Jake Lloyd - aka. young Anakin Skywalker from Episode 1



TEN YEARS LATER.

Poor kid. I do have some sympathy for him - the maturity-level of the script, dialogue and direction were not up to par in The Phantom Menace. Especially when you contrast Episode 1 with like, The Empire Strikes Back or Revenge of the Sith.

Anyway, I've been reflecting a lot on my life in 10-year increments and this seems to fit my nostalgic mood of late. Ten years ago I was fresh out of college, living in Texas for a short time as I tried to launch my TV News career as a sports reporter. In the summer of 1999, Star Wars Episode 1 mania was in full swing and I was full on into it, just like all of the other hardcore fans.

I feel like I finally grew into manhood that year I was in Texas. I was on my own for the first time, much like when young Anakin left his mom to become a Jedi, and I was struggling to figure out who I was going to be for the rest of my life. A decade later, after many Star-Wars-like adventures, I think I finally have it figured out! And yet, as I write this blog, I look down and I am wearing the very same Darth Maul t-shirt I bought way back in 1999, when Star Wars came back to theatres with a vengeance.

Some things never change ... wonder where I'll be in 2019 ... perhaps blogging about Star Wars and wearing a 20-year-old Darth Maul t-shirt?