Tuesday, July 14, 2009

LESSONS LEARNED: Want what you have, nothing more


It's funny how a few deep breaths can change your whole disposition and outlook on life. I recently decided to take some time to calm down and level-set after stressing out over some huge challenges I will face over the next 60-90 days.

I took my determined [child] out for a doughnut and chocolate milk. We sat there on the bench outside of the [grocery store] and just ... sat there. [The child] ate and enjoyed. I just ... enjoyed the perfect blue sky, warm weather and soft breeze. It was so rare an occasion ... I was doing nothing, and enjoying it.

I was relaxed and I harkened back to some recent lessons I'd learned in a book called "The Book of Secrets" by Deepak Chopra. I kept telling myself "I want nothing more than what I have right here, right now, in this moment." In those moments I didn't think about promotions, and money, mortgages and new cars. I simply was.

One of the many tenants in Chopra's book is about the prisons of suffering we all build for ourselves based on past experiences and belief systems that hold us in a virtual vice grip. The book recommends to simply take life as it comes and react moment to moment, rather than rely on pre-programmed responses and reactions. It's tough to do, believe me. Sustaining peace 24/7 is a state of grace only God can achieve ... not even our crusty friend Yoda can maintain a permanent level of serenity.

So, I was tested in my moment of temporary serenity. I went home and discovered that I'd left my wallet at the grocery store, probably on that bench. The first reaction was panic and self blame for allowing myself to get too relaxed and distracted.

Then I remembered Chopra's lesson about not allowing things to define us - things like i.d. devices and crutches like driver's licenses, corporate security badges, credit cards, cash and all other things found in a wallet.

I tried to calm down, but I've lost my wallet before and it sucks. I've lost my credit card like 4 or 5 times in the last 9 months and that has sucked too. Although I was racing to get back to that parking lot and that bench, I tried to slow myself down on the inside.

As if controlled by karma and good vibes from my calmness earlier in the day, a magical scene unfolded in front of me as if in slow motion: the store manager at the grocery store walked right at me, wallet in hand, and before I could finish my sentence about "did anyone turn in a ..." he handed me my wallet, smiled and kept walking.

99 times out of 100, that doesn't happen to me. Why did it happen this time? Me thinks it was the power of the mind and allowing life to come to me. 'Nuff said.