Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer Movie Grades

Took the day off from work Monday and among other things, went and saw the new Star Trek movie. I don't know a thing about the lore of the U.S.S. Enterprise, so I enjoyed it for what it was: a SciFi action thriller for a general audience with solid character development. I wasn't too concerned with details, hence no geeky anxiety over minutia that isn't relevant to anyone but geeky trekkies.

Anywayz ... without Transformers and GI Joe out in theatres yet, here is an incomplete report card for this summer's offerings to date:

Star Trek: (A-) I don't know enough about Star Trek to knock it, so I really latched onto the strong characters
Terminator: (B+) I'm no expert, so I enjoyed it for what it was: guns & robots
Angels & Demons: (B) Some details were left out, but a solid book adaptation
Wolverine (C-) I am expert on Wolvie, and will knock this disappointing adaptation

I predict B's at best for Transformers & GI Joe. I'm semi-expert on both universes, but casual enough not to have a meltdown over details that don't match the cartoons or comics.