Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Will the Swine Flu Virus lead us to ... DOOMSDAY?



I recently discovered this Doomsday movie on HBO. Wow. Right up my alley. Anyone one that knows me knows that I love, love, love fiction about ... THE APOCALYPTIC, DARK, HOPELESS FUTURE. A future where dilapidated buildings rule the landscape; where vegetation grows through broken up concrete and pavement; where grungy gangs of nomadic humans dress in dirty leather and fur; and where the only way to light a dark, dangerous alleyway is with a good old fashioned, hobo-style garbage can fire. I am obsessed with garbage can fires, I don't know why.

Well, this movie has all that - and more. It's also got high-tech military elements for those lucky enough not to be infected by the doomsday virus, that turns people into quasi zombies. This movie is like Mad Max, meets 28 Days Later, meets all the others in the genre: The Matrix, Blade Runner and the greatest of all, 1984. I love it all - it reminds me of the music video for "California Love" and the welcome to Oakland scene in said video.