Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jeffrey Dean Morgan on playing The Comedian


From Superherohype.com

SHH!: You knew of the graphic novel before the gig, then?
Morgan: I knew of it and read parts of it. I didn't read the whole thing. When I went in to meet Zack I read it and I've now read the thing 20 times. My dad is a huge fan and he's read the thing 300 times. When I had questions about anything, I'd call him up and he'd give me what's happening. You guys know it, every time you read it there's something new that catches your eye. It's an amazing piece of work. I go online - and I've never done this before when I'm involved in a project - the way people talk about this, it literally is the holy grail of graphic novels and people are so concerned about what Zack is doing with the movie. I will say this, the fans are not going to be disappointed. We're not going to make Alan Moore look bad, or his brilliant piece of work. It's going to be a helluva movie, the scope of it. It's just huge. The detail is insane and Zack is a mad scientist, it's going to be something to behold.

SHH!: Talk about your approach to The Comedian - he's incredibly multi-layered.
Morgan: On first glance, he's just a really unlikable guy, but at the end you don't hate him. So the tricky part for me, and I'm finding this to be a work in progress, the nuances and how to make him not sympathetic...you don't hate The Comedian, even when he shoots the pregnant woman from Vietnam in the face, you might go [laughs], "That's a bit too much Mr. Comedian." But at the same time, you don't ever end up hating him. So it's a fine line and we have to find our way. At first glance, I thought this guy was horrible. No morals whatsoever. But at the same time, he's a superhero and he's out there trying to do good. So we're just trying to find another layer that I didn't think of the day before. When all is said and done you won't hate him. I find him to be the most interesting character.

SHH!: Seeing yourself in the costume for the first time, how did that change your feeling about the role?
Morgan: You're ready to kick someone's ass. I've been doing costume fittings for about three months. Yesterday we did it all for real, we did a camera test and I'll tell you, when you see it, it's the comic book coming to life. Mind you, on top of the makeup I have to do, getting into costume takes three and a half hours. But it's something. The first time I saw myself in the mirror I got the giggles. There's no resemblance to me whatsoever, I'm Edward Blake. It's really exciting and it's going to be fun seeing everyone in their [costumes].