Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Pain and suffering: Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Once and again, I am laid up in bed with nothing but my thoughts ... and suffering. It's like dejavu.

Another cold, turned sinus infection, now turned into an unbearable ear ache. Why, oh why, must I bear this burden every few months? Once again, I am on the verge of some important stuff at work, where I am being counted on to lead, facilitate and coordinate. Do I power through it, like I always do? Ignore the beast living inside my head and put on a happy face, while my insides are being dulled and numbed by pure, unadulterated pain?

Or do I do the sensible thing? Take some time off from the job so that I may sit all alone in my room - just me and the pain, staring each other down to see who blinks first. With the aid of a prescription and the eye of the tiger, I think I can emerge victorious.

Perhaps I stay up really late tonight and watch cable TV until my eyelids feel like 100-LB barbells. Perhaps I read my new making-of-the-Watchmen coffee table book until I fade into a dream about The Owl and his trusty airship, nicknamed Archie.

Maybe I should do the sensible thing, which should always be option #1, but rarely is: stop trying to solve it on my own and pray. Pray and submit to the will of my Creator, then rest easy knowing that the pain won't last forever.