Saturday, March 08, 2008

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? I WILL!


So, I ask But Who Will Watch The Watchmen? And I say to you ... I will.

I can't wait for this movie adaptation of the greatest graphic novel of all time, The Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. This read more like deep psychological literature than a 12-issue comic book series bound into a single volume. The concept of morally ambiguous superheroes, that in fact aren't super, or heroes, is worth the price of admission alone.

I'll be interested to see how all of the flashbacks and the Pirate "comic within a comic" will play out, if at all, on film. Also sure to be left out are all the text-heavy journal entries, police reports, psych evaluations and book excerpts at the end of each chapter. All of this made for a rich reading experience that was so deep, it took me weeks to finish reading. The adaptation by director Zack Snyder (300) will be a challenge, but I'm sure he's up for it.

To see it play out as a 2-hour movie will be a treat. For my 2 cents, the costumes look great, check 'em out at this link:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/watchmennews.php?id=6887

Only two burning questions remain:
1. How will they handle Dr. Manhattan's dong hanging out all the time?
2. Which shall it be ... the lady, or the tiger?

The Watchmen opens March 9, 2009. http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

No comments: