Tuesday, October 09, 2007

2007: A Birth Odyssey



'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house ...

OK, it wasn't the night before Christmas. It was the night before my son would be born on Friday, Oct. 5th. Two days earlier, I had started watching 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time in my life. I was blown away. I stopped at the old-school intermission break and finished it up on Thursday. Still enthralled, I went back and reviewed key scenes, thanks to magic of DVR technology.

As a Star Wars fanatic, I was really impressed by the quality of the special effects that were 10 years OLDER than George Lucas' SciFi follow up to THX 1138 - a little movie he called "Star Wars: Episode IV." As a writer/editor, I was even more engaged by the deep philosophical and symbolic meaning in 2001, a movie with almost no dialogue and minimal editing.

I marvelled as I went to sleep that night and pondered the meaning of life. Then my wife's water broke. Hours later, there I was, watching her deliver our son at 9 a.m. the next morning.

All I could think of was that her birth canal was like the alien monolith that would deliver "the Star Child" seen at the end of 2001. My son popped out and as the doctor held him up, I was paralyzed with awe: there he was, Master of this new world he would survey for the first time, just like the Star Child, my Star Child.

He had travelled through space (the womb) and time (9 months of pregnancy) and come into this Earth with a hope that he would be 10 times the man that I am. I truly hope he is a more evolved version of me and my ancestors.

Nonetheless, it's funny to see some of his more cavemanish tendencies: his aggressive nursing habits and his propensity for whining, eating and sleeping. Alas, my furry little guy with his head full of hair will have to evolve, just as Man himself has. Let's just hope he evolves much faster than the 4 million years it took Man in 2001.

Regardless, I thank God for delivering another miracle into my life.

No comments: