Friday, September 09, 2005

It's Bananas ... b-a-n-a-n-a-s ... H-a-y-w-a-r-d

I can't tell you why I like Gwen Stefani's new song "Holla Back Girl," but I do. Something about that song is very Hayward, Calif. I grew up the ole "Hay-stack," so if anyone can say anything it's me.

The song is for all red-blooded American high school girls wearing dark lipstick and looking to start a fight over someone talking shit ... and yet, it is still very Hayward. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the chorus line:

"This my shit, this my shit ... gettin' everybody fired up."

If there was ever a music video made for this song (and there probably is one already) then let me humbly suggest they make it at the former Sunset High School off of A Street. The MTV Camera crews could easily recruit extras from the surrounding neighborhoods. Hell, me and most of the kids I grew up with could've guest-starred in this video at some point in our lives.

But I digress. I like the song. It's kind of like the nostalgia I feel when I watch the old Captain America cell-by-cell cartoons from the 1960s or the live action UltraMan show from the 1980s. It all comes flooding back ... chicks with slicked back hair fighting behind the gym after school. That and fish burgers during Lent.

Amen, Gwen Stefani, amen.

No comments: