Monday, July 18, 2005

It's been a while ... let's get our proper Blog on



It's been a busy summer. New job. Buying my first home as I write this. Adobrable baby girl is as busy as ever. Side jobs on weekends. Wife is on verge of promotion and raise. We haven't had time for anything ... except for one of the best shows in the history of TV - FOX'S Family Guy!

It would seem that the writers of the Family Guy did a deep psychological profile on me and use the material from my inner most thoughts to craft the show. Here's what I mean: in the last show there were no fewer than five references that made me laugh harder than anyone on God's Green Earth.

1. A-ha video "Take Me On," complete with pencil-shaved cartoon panels
2. A reference to the Goonies and Chunk's "Truffle Shuffle."
3. An homage to the Star Wars IV Death Star trench run complete with TIE-Fighters.
4. A day dream about Peter Griffin's fantasy land in "The Never Ending Story."
5. An Asian version of Three's Company.

There was some other, unsavory stuff, like references to the untimely death of a member of the band INXS and to Greg Louganis' name rhyming with anus. Last week there was a fanboy reference to X-Men starring a dressed up nerd as Wolverine and Lois Griffin as Mystique. This stuff writes itself, I tell you.

I'm so glad this show made it back on after an unexplicable cancellation. Sometimes great shows don't get good ratings and never make it back (see: ABC's "Sports Night", NBC's "American Dreams" and "Manimal" and Fox's "Sledgehammer" and "Dark Angel" - okay, maybe "Manimal" is stretching it a bit.)

And now a call to action:

Children of the mid-70s and 80s: next time you're sitting at home at 9 p.m. on a Sunday night, tune into the Family Guy. Forget the Surreal Life and USA's The 4400. Or better yet ... TiVo/DVR those other shows. Do like Brian the talking dog - whip yourself up a martini and enjoy the brilliance that is the Family Guy.

4 comments:

AMANDA said...

Always nice to get new opinions on the show... Come back and join us on the blog anytime!

Anonymous said...

Just for the record- when you say "some nerd"...you're referring to Neil. He's rather regular on the show- and if you've seen more than 2 or 3 episodes, you'd know that. Also, it's not THE family guy. It's simply "family guy."

Other than that, good points made, and thanks for encouraging others' to check out the show. That's what matters more than the little details that you missed a bit on.

O-dogg said...

Okay anonymous nerd. Get a life. I own the first three season of Family Guy on DVD, so I know the show, I just don't live and die with it.

I can't get into the minutia of details on this show an appeal to my blog reading audience. I gotta dumb some of this stuff down or else no one but me and fanboys like you can understand what the hell I'm saying.

Take a cold shower and try to relax. Neil is a nerd is a nerd is a nerd. If I want to call it THE Family Guy, then'll I'll do so. You like the show, I like the show. Get off it already.

Martini Love said...

I love the family guy ... hehe that episode was great!