Monday, March 28, 2005

I'm writing my first movie and I don't care if nerds like it

To make a long story short, I've been writing all my life, even if I didn't get paid for it most of the time. I remember writing my first comic book at the age of 8 with one of those pens that has a tab for red ink, blue ink, green ink and black ink. I wrote it on a tiny homemade note pad on paper that I cut and stapled together. My Dad was proud. I always got good grades in creative writing exercises. Then I decided to go John Wayne and embarked on a journey toward becoming a TV sports announcer/reporter after college. That dream lasted a few years, but had to come to a close because I had other plans for my life than living in places like Temple, Texas and Sparks, Nevada. Then I transitioned into PR, still got to write and be creative, just in a different way.

Now I have a two-week layoff before starting a new job with an awesome company just 3 miles from my house. I figured now is the best time to write that movie that's been floating around in my head for the last few years. Around this time last year I fooled around with a superhero movie idea with no idea of how to write an actual screenplay. Over the last year I've been reading and studying Lew Hunter's 434 secrets for writing a "spec", industry-standard screenplay. This thing will be legit, at least in its form and structure. My research comes form a lifetime of experiences and a helluva memory. Beauty will be in the eye of the beholder or the possible agent that tries to sell it (if I'm that lucky).

So, I am off to the races! I may never have two weeks to dedicate to my passion of creative writing, so I am seizing the day, 8 hours a day, cranking out a minimum of 10 pages per. Following my detailed step outline, I feel like this thing is coming to life from the pages of my screenwriting software. I finished Act One today in a flurry of 18 pages that flowed from my finger tips. I feel so alive.

Won't be able to share until I get the copyright is filed, but hey, I may as well secure the intellectual property before the rest of the wannabe's in the world start trashing my effort - and that will happen. There's a lot of jealousy and ugliness in the world of "creatives" and artists. I saw it all the time in the TV biz. Anyway, here's a hint on the premise of my sci-fi thriller:

A man travels into the future where he has a chance to make all of the dreams of his hollow, unfulfilled life come true. The price of success: possible death. The price of failure: a certain, brutal death. How will he respond to the challenges? Stay tuned, true believers.

In closing, here's what I have to say: I'm having fun writing this movie and I don't care if every fanboy in the world nit picks it to death. So there! See you at the movies.

2 comments:

Amber Lynn said...

Call Matt Damon and Ben Afleck. They might be able to give you some pointers.

O-dogg said...

You know, I don't have their current phone #s. J/K, I know what you mean. They have a thing called Project Green Light where they help aspiring filmmakers. I don't know that I'm as interested in making the movies as I am in writing them. Anyway thanks for the advice.